Itzchak Tarkay was born in 1935 in Subotica on the Yugoslav – Hungarian border. When he was only nine years old, Tarkay was sent to Mathausen concentration camp by the Nazis. After the war, he returned home and developed an interest in art. While still at school in Suborica, he won a prize for excellence in painting. In 1949 he and his family immigrated to Israel and were sent to a transit camp for new arrivals at Beer Ya’akov. Their next two years were spent in a Kibbutz. In 1951, Tarkay received a scholarship to the Belalel Art Academy in Jerusalem, where he studied for a year before having to leave due to difficult financial circumstances at home. In order to continue his scholarship, he was allowed to study under the artist Schwartzman until his mobilization to the Israeli army. Alter returning to the familiar environment of Tel Aviv, Tarkay enrolled in the Avni Institute of Art, which he graduated in 1956. His teachers there were: iMokady, Janco, Schtreichman and Stemacsky. Tarkay has since exhibited extensively both in Israel and abroad, and his works can he found in many public and private collections.